Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Middle Half & Intro to Irene


Yesterday I did something that I should have been doing for all my races. Not setting a goal for a finish time. Goals are great to set and I'm certainly not saying not to make them. But I had the best time at my 11th half marathon. Even with feeling like puking towards the end. I still haven't got a new PR, but I still had a blast out on the course. All 2 hours and 56 minutes of it. My hubby was right, I would enjoy running more. I'm going to try my best to do the same at the next race.

It felt amazing not having that pressure on me to try and beat my goal. Sure I wasn't pleased with my time but I wasn't upset and Irene (more on her later) didn't make an appearance. ;) I have realized that I am not fueling properly during those long runs, which is probably the main reason my past races haven't been the best. So nutrition is at the top of my list to get under control.

Since I didn't have a goal time, I asked to join in with Ricky, who I call Ricky Bobby. ;) It was his first half and the past few group runs with the Monday Misfits, I've worked to try and keep up with him. If I got a PR, great. But if not, that was ok too. No pressure. ;) Sadly, I lost him around Mile 2 after I got trapped behind a row of 4 girls. After I got around them, I tried to catch back up but only ended up getting side cramps so I pulled back. And I'm proud to say, Irene still didn't show up. ;) I told him not to wait at all during the race, to just keep going. It was his first half and he did awesome, finishing in 2:23:44!!!!! Welcome to the Club!!

Racing Tip: Please don't run side by side. It makes it hard to get around you. Especially when there are four running together.

It took a few shots.


I have to give another "welcome to the half marathon club" to Hollie. She ran her first half marathon in 3:03:36! I knew she would do awesome at this race after I saw her do the Moon Pie 10 Miler. I may have pressured her into doing the Middle Half. ;) But as I told her, I wouldn't have done it if I didn't already know she could do it. 

She says this is the "first and last time" for a half. ;)
But I think she'll do it again. 



Here are a few shots from the day...feel free to laugh. I did.


The BBC group







Hoping to cry instead of puke 



This would have been hilarious had Ray captured me doubled over
dry heaving. Hahaha



Love this guy!!




Whooo Hoo!


Now about this Irene chick..... 

My buddy Miranda decided to name my running personality. Sometimes, ok pretty much all the time. I get upset while running. The smallest thing can set her off. Like getting nearly hit by a car. Or getting nudged while running. The list could go on... ;) Miranda named her Irene. And now everyone in our running group finds it funny. I kept Irene in check during the race. For one, I was running with Ricky and I didn't want to taint his first half marathon. However, he did say if Irene showed up he would just take off and leave me. Which I would have been fine with. ;) Here's to keeping Irene in check. 

Happy Running Everyone!! 

No comments :

Post a Comment